If you recently started or plan to start a business in Georgetown Univ DC or have another taxable entity one of the first things you will want to do is obtain your Tax ID in Georgetown Univ DC.
Obtaining a Tax ID Number (EIN)
When starting a business in Georgetown Univ DC, serving as the administrator or executor of an estate, creator of a Trust or operating a Non Profit Organization obtaining a Tax ID (EIN) is a key responsibility. A Tax ID also known as an Employer ID Number (EIN) is a unique nine digit number that identifies your business or entity with the IRS for tax purposes, essentially like a Social Security Number for the entity. A Tax ID (EIN) is used for opening a business bank account, filing business tax returns and in many cases is required when applying for business licenses. In most cases it is helpful to apply for a Tax ID (EIN) as soon as your start planning a business to ensure that there are no delays in obtaining the correct licenses, financing and opening a business bank account that would be needed to operate.
Information to Consider Prior to Applying
Before applying for your Tax ID (EIN) you may want to consider a few things before starting the application including:
- Determine which structure your business or organization will operate as
- Determine the individual or organization that will serve as the responsible party
- Determine the physical address the business/entity will use – A physical address is required for all Tax ID (EIN)’s and a separate mailing address can be specified
Definition of Entities
- Sole Proprietor – An individual who owns a company that is not incorporated or registered with the state as a limited liability company (LLC).
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) – A LLC is a structure formed by filing articles of organization which allows members limited liability protection and pass through taxation.
- Corporation – A person or group of people who establish a legal entity by filing articles of incorporation with the state’s secretary of state.
- Estate of Deceased – An estate (or decedent estate) or succession is a legal entity created as a result of a person’s death.
- Trusts – All types of trusts including conservatorships, custodianships, guardianships, irrevocable trusts, revocable trusts, and receiverships.
- Partnership – An unincorporated organization in which two or more individuals share the profits and liabilities of a business venture.
- Church – For tax purposes, a “church” refers to any organization claiming to be a church including temples, mosques, and other houses of worship.
- Non-Profit Organization – Includes public charities, educational organizations, PTA/PTO Organizations, Community Sports Teams, Homeowners/Condo Associates, etc.
District of Columbia State Tax ID
Outside of obtaining your Federal Tax ID (EIN) in Georgetown Univ DC you will also likely need a District of Columbia State Tax ID. This ID is needed to pay business taxes, state income tax and/or sales tax on items you sell. Generally the State Tax ID is used for the follow:
- Sales and Use Tax
- Employee Income Tax Witholding
- Sales Tax Exemption Permits
- Excise Taxes for items like Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Oil & Gas, heavy machinery, etc.
For specific detail refer to the District of Columbia State Website at SELECT * FROM `TABLE 4` WHERE `State` = 'District of Columbia' LIMIT 1
Cities in District of Columbia
- Rosslyn, VA
- G W Univ, DC
- State Department, DC
- National Security Counsel, DC
- Parcel Return Service, DC
- Parcel Return Svc, DC
- Prs, DC
- Fort Myer, VA
- Ft Myer, VA
- Fbi, DC
- FBI Identification Unit, DC
- Fed Communications Comm, DC
- Fed Emer Mngt Agncy, DC
- Fed Labor Relations Auth, DC
- Fed Mediation And Concil Ser, DC
- Fed Records Center, DC
- Federal Aviation Agency, DC
- Federal Deposit Ins Corp, DC
- Federal Election Comm, DC
- Federal Maritime Commission, DC
- Federal Reserve Board, DC
- Federal Trade Comm, DC
- Fha Comptroller, DC
- Food And Drug Admin, DC
- Foreign Claims Settlement, DC
- Gen Services Admin, DC
- General Accounting Office, DC
- Geological Survey, DC
- Gov Printing Office, DC
- Gpo Field Serv Div, DC
- Gpo Procurement Div, DC
- Gpo Supt Of Documents, DC
- National Academy Of Science, DC
- National Credit Union Admin, DC
- National Gallery Of Art, DC
- National Imaging And Mapping, DC
- National Mediation Board, DC
- National Park Service, DC
- National Selective Service, DC
- Natl Aero And Space Admin, DC
- Natl Archives And Records, DC
- Natl Capitol Planning, DC
- Natl Comm On Social Sec, DC
- Natl Institute Of Educ, DC
- Natl Labor Relations Board, DC
- Natl Trans Safety Board, DC
- Naval Anacost Annex, DC
- Naval Intelligence Com, DC