If you recently started or plan to start a business in Dept Homeland Security DC or have another taxable entity one of the first things you will want to do is obtain your Tax ID in Dept Homeland Security DC.
Obtaining a Tax ID Number (EIN)
When starting a business in Dept Homeland Security DC, serving as the administrator or executor of an estate, creator of a Trust or operating a Non Profit Organization obtaining a Tax ID (EIN) is a key responsibility. A Tax ID also known as an Employer ID Number (EIN) is a unique nine digit number that identifies your business or entity with the IRS for tax purposes, essentially like a Social Security Number for the entity. A Tax ID (EIN) is used for opening a business bank account, filing business tax returns and in many cases is required when applying for business licenses. In most cases it is helpful to apply for a Tax ID (EIN) as soon as your start planning a business to ensure that there are no delays in obtaining the correct licenses, financing and opening a business bank account that would be needed to operate.
Information to Consider Prior to Applying
Before applying for your Tax ID (EIN) you may want to consider a few things before starting the application including:
- Determine which structure your business or organization will operate as
- Determine the individual or organization that will serve as the responsible party
- Determine the physical address the business/entity will use – A physical address is required for all Tax ID (EIN)’s and a separate mailing address can be specified
Definition of Entities
- Sole Proprietor – An individual who owns a company that is not incorporated or registered with the state as a limited liability company (LLC).
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) – A LLC is a structure formed by filing articles of organization which allows members limited liability protection and pass through taxation.
- Corporation – A person or group of people who establish a legal entity by filing articles of incorporation with the state’s secretary of state.
- Estate of Deceased – An estate (or decedent estate) or succession is a legal entity created as a result of a person’s death.
- Trusts – All types of trusts including conservatorships, custodianships, guardianships, irrevocable trusts, revocable trusts, and receiverships.
- Partnership – An unincorporated organization in which two or more individuals share the profits and liabilities of a business venture.
- Church – For tax purposes, a “church” refers to any organization claiming to be a church including temples, mosques, and other houses of worship.
- Non-Profit Organization – Includes public charities, educational organizations, PTA/PTO Organizations, Community Sports Teams, Homeowners/Condo Associates, etc.
District of Columbia State Tax ID
Outside of obtaining your Federal Tax ID (EIN) in Dept Homeland Security DC you will also likely need a District of Columbia State Tax ID. This ID is needed to pay business taxes, state income tax and/or sales tax on items you sell. Generally the State Tax ID is used for the follow:
- Sales and Use Tax
- Employee Income Tax Witholding
- Sales Tax Exemption Permits
- Excise Taxes for items like Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Oil & Gas, heavy machinery, etc.
For specific detail refer to the District of Columbia State Website at SELECT * FROM `TABLE 4` WHERE `State` = 'District of Columbia' LIMIT 1
Cities in District of Columbia
- Friendship Heights, DC
- Usps Headquarters, DC
- Verizon, DC
- Vietnam Vet Mem Fund, DC
- Wachovia, DC
- Wash Intell Bureau Inc, DC
- Washington Brm, DC
- Washington Gas, DC
- Washington Post, DC
- Amer Assc Retired Persons, DC
- Bank Of America, DC
- Marriott Corp, DC
- Natl Repub Cong Comm, DC
- Blue Cross Group Hosp, DC
- Pepco, DC
- Pnc Financial, DC
- Geico, DC
- Criterion Ins Co, DC
- Sun Trust Bank Inc, DC
- Howard University Hospital, DC
- Int Group Plans Inc, DC
- Woodward And Lothrop, DC
- White House Ofc Of Vice Pres, DC
- White House Ofc Staff, DC
- World Bank, DC
- Broadcasting Bd Of Governors, DC
- Bureau Engav And Printing, DC
- Bureau Labor Statistics, DC
- Bureau Narc And Dngr Drugs, DC
- Bureau Narc Dngr Drugs Lab, DC
- Bureau Of Census, DC
- Bureau Of Indian Affairs, DC
- Bureau Of Mines, DC
- Bureau Of Prisons, DC
- Bureau Of Public Debt, DC
- Action, DC
- Adm Office US Court, DC
- Adv Comm Inter Govt Relation, DC
- Anacostia, DC
- Anacostia Anx, DC
- Armed Forces Inaugural Com, DC
- Armed Forces Inst Pathology, DC
- Arms Control And Disarm Agy, DC
- Defense Intelligence, DC
- Dept Ag Ofc Outside Hq, DC
- Dept Agriculture, DC
- Dept Air Force Pentagon, DC
- Dept Army Pentagon, DC