If you recently started or plan to start a business in Chesapeake VA or have another taxable entity one of the first things you will want to do is obtain your Tax ID in Chesapeake VA.
Obtaining a Tax ID Number (EIN)
When starting a business in Chesapeake VA, serving as the administrator or executor of an estate, creator of a Trust or operating a Non Profit Organization obtaining a Tax ID (EIN) is a key responsibility. A Tax ID also known as an Employer ID Number (EIN) is a unique nine digit number that identifies your business or entity with the IRS for tax purposes, essentially like a Social Security Number for the entity. A Tax ID (EIN) is used for opening a business bank account, filing business tax returns and in many cases is required when applying for business licenses. In most cases it is helpful to apply for a Tax ID (EIN) as soon as your start planning a business to ensure that there are no delays in obtaining the correct licenses, financing and opening a business bank account that would be needed to operate.
Information to Consider Prior to Applying
Before applying for your Tax ID (EIN) you may want to consider a few things before starting the application including:
- Determine which structure your business or organization will operate as
- Determine the individual or organization that will serve as the responsible party
- Determine the physical address the business/entity will use – A physical address is required for all Tax ID (EIN)’s and a separate mailing address can be specified
Definition of Entities
- Sole Proprietor – An individual who owns a company that is not incorporated or registered with the state as a limited liability company (LLC).
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) – A LLC is a structure formed by filing articles of organization which allows members limited liability protection and pass through taxation.
- Corporation – A person or group of people who establish a legal entity by filing articles of incorporation with the state’s secretary of state.
- Estate of Deceased – An estate (or decedent estate) or succession is a legal entity created as a result of a person’s death.
- Trusts – All types of trusts including conservatorships, custodianships, guardianships, irrevocable trusts, revocable trusts, and receiverships.
- Partnership – An unincorporated organization in which two or more individuals share the profits and liabilities of a business venture.
- Church – For tax purposes, a “church” refers to any organization claiming to be a church including temples, mosques, and other houses of worship.
- Non-Profit Organization – Includes public charities, educational organizations, PTA/PTO Organizations, Community Sports Teams, Homeowners/Condo Associates, etc.
Virginia State Tax ID
Outside of obtaining your Federal Tax ID (EIN) in Chesapeake VA you will also likely need a Virginia State Tax ID. This ID is needed to pay business taxes, state income tax and/or sales tax on items you sell. Generally the State Tax ID is used for the follow:
- Sales and Use Tax
- Employee Income Tax Witholding
- Sales Tax Exemption Permits
- Excise Taxes for items like Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Oil & Gas, heavy machinery, etc.
For specific detail refer to the Virginia State Website at https://www.ireg.tax.virginia.gov/VTOL/Login.seam
Cities in Virginia
- Chrstn Brdcst Network, VA
- South Norfolk, VA
- Coast Guard Finance Center, VA
- Norfolk, VA
- Fleet Marine Force Atlantic, VA
- Cinclantflt, VA
- Portsmouth, VA
- Old Dominion University, VA
- Princess Anne, VA
- Fleet, VA
- Naval Base, VA
- Naval Communications Area Ma, VA
- Norfolk Naval Air Station, VA
- Norfolk Naval Public Works C, VA
- Norfolk Naval Station, VA
- Joint Forces Staff College, VA
- Lillian Vernon, VA
- Chrstn Brdcst Ntwrk Brm, VA
- Va Bch, VA
- Va Beach, VA
- Vab, VA
- Virginia Bch, VA
- Virginia Beach, VA
- Fort Story, VA
- Little Creek Naval Amphibiou, VA
- Nav Amph Base, VA
- Naval Amphib Base, VA
- Naval Amphibious Base, VA
- Driver, VA
- Fort Monroe, VA
- Crittenden, VA
- Hampton University, VA
- Family Fashions By Avon, VA
- Kecoughtan Veterans Hospital, VA
- Knotts Island, NC
- Woodleigh, NC
- Nasa, VA
- Moyock, NC
- Suffolk, VA
- Chuckatuck, VA
- Hampton, VA
- South Mills, NC
- Carrollton, VA
- Langley, VA
- Langley AFB, VA
- Langley Air Force Base, VA
- N N, VA
- Newport News, VA